Monday, July 16, 2007

Stargazing with Einstein

Once again, the urban life was fun and interesting while it lasted, but i'm ready and willing to get back into being a surf nomad. Los Angeles is a place that i will happily visit hundreds of times but probably never want to live there.

Today, I went over to my cousin Marty's place and had a little family get together with my cousin Todd, who i had only ever met briefly and his beautiful family. I always knew my family was special, but this California connection is outstanding! We played some basketball and ate great Middle Eastern food. Marty and Todd accepted me like a little brother and i thoroughly enjoyed relaxing and learning more about the LA lifestyle. I look forward to many trips back here to hang with these guys.

Beth, Marty, Julian, Todd and Elief (sp?)

Tonight, Jared and i took the shuttle up to the Griffith Observatory. Founded by Griffith J. Griffith in 1935 and made famous by James Dean in "Rebel Without a Cause." It is a spectacular public building overlooking the whole of Los Angeles.

Griffith Observatory

We checked out the fascinating exhibits and then attended the spectacular planetarium show. Flying through clusters of galaxies, i couldn't help but ponder how many sentient beings we were passing in the mindbending expanses of our universe.
We then went outside and looked at Saturn, Jupiter with moons and Albireo through high powered telescopes. Awesome.

The view from the Observatory.


A perfect way to end my LA stay: Jared and I stargazing with our homeboy Albert Einstein.

Tomorrow, i am continuing south into Palos Verdes and Hermosa. In the afternoon, i plan on attending the Rick Griffin exhibit at the Laguna Beach Art Museum.

No comments: